Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Be mine ... Valentine!



So ... apparently today is Valentine's Day. This does not enter onto my radar as a single person ... it's even less on my radar as a single person in Korea, as there is no big marketing campaign! I only know it is today because a friend I meet with on a Wednesday is doing something lovely with her husband and cancelled ...

So it got me thinking, have I ever celebrated? Two stories come to mind ...

I once went out for dinner with my friend Sue. We went to a lovely little restaurant ... nice music ... candles and great food! We were having a great chat and a wonderful time and about half way through, we thought, "gosh, this is all very atmospheric - little cozy tables and candlelight everywhere ... quite charming really ... " As we looked around further we were like ... "There are no families here ... " scanning further, we then noticed that the entire restaurant is filled with couples ... and it was all very intimate (we probably looked intimate as we were leaning towards each other talking) ... then we were like ... not only is it couples but they all look kind of romantic ... we were sitting there scratching our heads until suddenly it dawned ... Valentines Day! Not on our radars as singles at all ... it was like stumbling into couples night at the local bingo hall! Very surreal ... I didn't really think kiwis got into Valentines, but it seems romance is not dead in the land of the long white cloud.

Then again ... I did have my boy bring me a beautiful gift at 5 minutes to midnight on the last valentines day I was at home in NZ ... I was asleep when I heard a very persistent, strangely toned RrrOW! at my door ... it was repetitive enough to wake me up ... I wandered blearily to my door thinking, 'thats my cat ... whats wrong with him? He sounds hurt! I opened the door (the next scene unfolded in slow motion over about half a second) ... Psy was sitting side on and whirled his head towards me with a big cheesy cat smile ... "look what I brought for you, aren't I clever?! Aren't you proud?! ..." hanging out of his mouth was... a HUGE RAT! Poor fulla ... I slammed the door in his face and freaked out in my room while he galloped up and down the mezzanine floor trying to kill it ... I was terrified it would squeeze under my door so I jammed the door gap with a towel! In the end, when all went silent outside, I thumped on the floor until I woke my flatmate Julie up. She was full of Christian love and charity ... bought me a shovel and a cloth to cover the body ... (and yes, I hurled it over the neighbours fence into the long grass of her unkempt garden ... I wanted its family to find the body and be warned ...)

So those are my memorable Valentine's days ...

Happy Valentines to you and yours.

1 comment:

Danifesto said...

okay the rat story CRACKED me up! It was the way you told it that really sealed the deal! I hope you were able to get back to sleep that night!!