Thursday, April 30, 2009

He Reigns

As mentioned in the post on Enduring Seasons, Oprah asks the question, "what do you know for sure". Having come through a hard couple of years, this song answers that for me! If you haven't read that blog post, click the link above and read it before you read this!

He Reigns

I say
The night is long, can’t find my way
I say
I’m stumbling in the darkness

They say
It’s always dark before the dawn
They say
That when the night is dark
The stars shine bright
The stars shine brighter

When I think I’m all alone
I know that God is on the throne
And when I can’t tell night from day
I tumble to my knees and pray
And this one thing I know
And this one thing I know


Chorus
He reigns
For when the night is darkest
He’s the light
Shining brighter than the brightest day
He reigns
And when I can’t see my way
This one thing I know
This one thing I know
He Reigns!


He says
He’s the calm in the middle of storms
I say
Those waves are getting higher and higher
Higher and higher

He says
Get out of the boat
Put your feet on the waves
I say
I’m afraid, I’m afraid, I’m afraid the water’s fire

Hold me
Carry me when I can’t find my way
Hold me
Be my light
Be my guide

CHORUS

Refrain (he makes me lie down, he makes me lie down)

The Lord is my shepherd
I’ll not want
(Refrain)

He leads me beside waters still
(refrain)

He restores my soul
And guides me in righteousness
(refrain)

When I walk through valleys
In the shadow of death
(refrain)

I’ll not fear
You are with me
(refrain)

Your rod and staff
They comfort me
(refrain)

Goodness and love
Will follow me – as
(refrain)

I will dwell in you
Evermore - as
(refrain)

Refrain to fade out


Words and Music Copyright S Carpenter May 2009

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He reigns within my heart. Shall we all take our focus off the waves around us and trust His unfailing love as we step out of the boat and seek to be near Him.

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

A Captured Reflection said...

This is Karen from NZ, (my new blog is Captured Reflections and Reflecting Upon) I was thinking about you, wondering how you are doing so am checking in to say hello and see how you are.

A Captured Reflection said...

You are missed! Thinking of you heaps. Praying God gives you grace, and life and hope again.

Launa said...

Amazing words, insight and wisdom in this song Sarah. It makes me feel grateful for how loved we are.
I hope someday I can hear your beautiful voice singing it :-) Thank-you for sharing.

Sassiekiwi said...

Hmmm ... How many years on but I did finally record it ... I have posted it here:
http://carpentershand.blogspot.com/2011/12/he-reigns-song.html

Hope it encourages you guys ...